April 16, 2014

Answering Hair Questions

I've been working on a hair tutorial video or two in the past couple of weeks but I'm really bad at editing, and making videos that aren't a year long. I'm no hair professional but I've learned quite a bit about how my hair works in the past year since cutting it all off. I thought I'd use today to answer a few questions people have asked me lately about my hair:

Q: I've been thinking about going lighter, but not sure how to go about doing it. What did you do/what would you suggest?

A: The process of lightening my hair has been a long one. So, my first advice would be to be patient. The first couple of times, I just got a ton of highlights put in all over. This process is pretty harsh on your hair and you have to wait a couple of months before doing it again. In between highlights I use hydrating/conditioning shampoo, shea butter hair masks, and my personal favorite It's A 10 Miracle Leave-In Product. This stuff repairs the proteins in your hair, which is what helps heal the damage from coloring/bleaching. It also makes hair smooth and manageable. I use this every time I wash my hair. The past couple of times I've been to the salon, instead of a highlight, they've done a color lift which is a lot less damaging and gives me a more all-over color rather than just dramatic highlights. 

Q: I want to cut my hair off but am nervous it wouldn't look good on me, I don't think I have a face for it. How did you get brave enough to just chop it all off?

A: ANYONE CAN HAVE SHORT HAIR. I hate when people say they don't have the face for short hair. It's like saying your face isn't pretty enough on its own. Short hair is all about attitude. If you think you look bad, that energy will radiate from you and negative self energy isn't attractive on anyone. My attitude with hair is that if I've thought about doing it- I'm just going to go for it. It's just hair. With a little patience and care, it all grows back. Part of the fun of hair is being able to change it up throughout your life. I'm telling you, you feel like a different person when you're able to step outside of your comfort zone a little bit. 

If you're nervous about cutting your hair, take baby steps. Find a cut that's shorter but not as short as you'd ideally like to go. Give yourself time to adjust to it before you go even shorter. Or you can be like me and cut it already. We spend so much time worrying about things we haven't even experienced yet. You never know how it'll look until you try!

Q: What kinds of products or things do you use to style your hair?

A: Short hair, if you want to have fun with it, will require a few products. A main staple is bobby pins. I use them most days to pin here where I want it to go. Here are some more products in my hair arsenal right now:
Smoothing Cream: Bed Head After Party
Hairspray: Big Sexy Hairspray

I'd like to throw the question board to all of you readers! If you have any questions about short hair, how I style my hair or I don't know...anything in general ... ask away! I'll do another post or two dedicated to answering your questions :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *