November 12, 2013

thoughts on blogging.

I've been wanting to write this post for awhile but haven't really known where to start. I guess I'll just let it all out as it comes to me, and nope it all makes sense in the end.

I feel like this blog is slowly slipping away from me. Or maybe not that, but it's losing direction. I've felt it over the past year, it's just seemed like more of a burden or just one more thing on my to-do list that I felt obligated to do. I've lost a little bit of the spark that I once had for documenting life. And that's the thing these days-if you don't document it, did it ever really happen?

Blogging has changed so, so much in the past couple of years. I truly believe it started when Pinterest got popular. Suddenly, all blogs were using Pinterest to compete, to get traffic, it all just got completely out of control. So many blogs have turned into recycled DIY's. For awhile I thought maybe I should jump on that train, too. I love love making things myself, I though maybe I should share it with the internet so they can make these things, too...or be inspired to try to be a little crafty in their free time. But then everyone started doing it and when I did it I just worried it didn't seem sincere. 

Want to know what sucks the most? Pinterest has become my #1 source of traffic. Seriously. I made a a couple of curly hair tutorials before Pinterest even existed and now 2 years later I'm getting daily comments and emails on them. This post? Has gotten over 2 million page views. All from a website I feel pretty much changed blogging as we know it. If I were a good blogger I'd think about ways to get new readers from that traffic. But I just don't care anymore.

I don't have the time or motivation to take and edit photos of my life and share them everyday, but it seems more and more these days nobody will read anything you write if it's not accompanied by 100 perfectly posed and edited photos. Crazy, huh? I get the most interaction and comments on posts where I have photos, where the content is mainly photos. 

So where do I go from here? I don't know. I can't give up this blog completely, I also like to use this blog to drive some of you all to my etsy shop, which is what I really love to do. I don't know where this blog is going, I haven't known for awhile. (As you can tell by my less than consistent posting schedule.) I know I have a voice, and a story and if nobody wants to read it, that's fine with me because you wouldn't believe how much time I've spent going through old posts, remembering and re-living things I thought I'd forgotten- especially the blur that was the first year of motherhood.

I don't know how to end this post, I wish I had a witty and uplifting line to leave you with, but I don't. I just needed to get some of these thoughts out, hoping it might help shine a light on the direction I'm supposed to go. I do want to thank all of you who've been here with me through it all, knowing there's at least one or two people out there who are listening gives me a little bit of comfort. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *