refilling my heart with some family time

Last week was so needed. I needed family, my heart needed a little filling up. Not that I'm not happy now, but there is something that only your family can do to completely recharge you. I hadn't seen my mom or brothers and sister for a year and a half. It didn't seem like that long, but when I tried counting back to when I last saw them, it was two Christmases ago in Iowa. Last year we were moving pretty much all year and decided to stay in California for Christmas. This year has just flown by, and before we know it it'll be August. Wait, what?

I missed them.
They decided to drive here from Iowa to experience the good ole' fashioned family road trip, something we'd done as a family when I was their age. You guys, my brothers and sister are SENIORS IN HIGH SCHOOL. When in the name of time travel did this happen? They're like, real people now. They're not my little brothers and sister. They're old like me now. We can talk about stuff, have inside jokes. I'm 11 years older than them and up until the past couple of years, that age difference has been a pretty big separator. I feel like we're moving into a different stage of siblinghood where we're more friends, and I'm less of the big sister who is kind of more like an aunt.

I needed to see them all. I feel like them being here brought a little bit of home to California. I feel more like myself, it's almost like a trip home. It did my heart good. Oh, and the boys just ate up all of the play time and attention they could get. I know it's hard for my family to feel like they're missing out on being around the boys as they grow. I grew up very close to both my sets of grandparents and most of my aunts and uncles. I was always around family and this is a very different thing for all of us. 

But this is kind of how being a big kid works. Sometimes you have to move away far away from the nest to find your own way on this journey. It might mean you miss those you love the most but ultimately it's all worth the sacrifice. We cherish each moment we can spend together that much more when those moments are few and far between.

These 3. 


No comments :

Post a Comment