March 22, 2013

you should probably have some photos of yourself.

I'm really not a huge fan of self photography. I know fashion bloggers do it all the time and I'm sure a lot of them have gotten comfortable being in front of the camera. I'm not big on it. BUT I'd rather feel awkward and dorky in the comfort of my own home, no photographer but me. I can change outfits, locations in my house, take 300 photos and not feel bad only choosing 10.


Why is it important to have photos of yourself? Well, I have a few reasons for myself, personally.

1) I'm always behind the camera. I have so many photos of the boys, of Chikezie and the boys. There aren't many (iphone excluded) of me or me and the boys. I'm only going to be young once. And when I'm old, I want to look back at myself. I want photos the boys can look back at and see their mom so young. I love seeing photos of my parents when they were young. I'm not out with friends like I used to be, where we'd take tons of photos of each other, I have a good record of those years. I want a record of now. When I'm a new mom. When I'm in my late 20's. When I'm a wrinkle free, short hair, glasses wearing wife. 

2) Having a blog and an online presence, its handy to have an up to date photo of yourself. For me, especially since I've cut all my hair off. It's just nice to have. 

3) Because even if you don't feel so great about how you look or don't have much confidence, you're going to want a picture to remember yourself at each stage of your life. Yeah, I'd like to drop a few pounds (those pesky things have been hanging on for 3 years now!) but I'd like to look back and feel comfortable with myself at all the stages I went through. This is what life is all about, the cycles and changes we go through as we grow. Ignoring them, trying to forget them...it's just shorting yourself in the long run. 


4) You know what? Sometimes it's just nice to feel pretty. To photoshop the hell out of some photos of yourself and too look at them and think, "She's pretty." It's not selfish. It's not self centered or bad to want to look pretty and have visual proof. It's human. And I think it's especially necessary as your body goes through all the changes of motherhood. 

I'm challenging each and every one of you to take more photos of yourself. Especially you moms out there who get stuck taking millions of photos of your kids and husband. You're important, too. Even if you have to step outside of your comfort zone and take photos of yourself in your living room while your kids nap...just do it. Have fun. Be silly. Find what angles you think you look best at and then just shoot the hell out of them. Time will keep going and you'll wish you had a record of yourself through it all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *