February 21, 2013

we are beautiful now.



I saw a new stylist I haven't seen, I just told her I liked the length and needed a trim. I didn't show a picture to her, I figured it was pretty self explanatory. Well, she just started chopping away and before I knew it, she'd trimmed over half an inch off my already short hair. (I didn't think I had that much to give!) When I got home, I was kind of annoyed but know it was my fault for not showing her a picture. And I remembered one important fact; hair grows back! I'm now unintentionally in a style I hadn't planned on (the sides are shorter and the top longer) so I'm just going to go with it. 

If there's anything having short hair has taught me it's to learn to be comfortable with who you are, as you are. Sometimes we tend to see ourselves as a before picture, as someone who is going to change into who we really want to be. Maybe that person is someone who weighs less, is more organized, is more adventurous, has longer hair. The one I hear most often is we're the before of someone who is thinner with longer hair. 

This short hair? There's no hiding. I never thought I hid behind my hair before, but I did. A cute braid could distract from a zit or a bloated day. Now it's my face that's front and center, I'm forced to really look at myself. I'm not going to be a "before" anymore. This is how I'm supposed to look right now. These few extra pounds? WHO CARES. Right now in my life, there are a few other priorities I have that are far more important than the size of clothes I wear. This short hair? I'm going to rock the hell out of it, and cross it off my bucket list (because come on, every one of you at some point has wished you could just chop it all off!). 

I want to encourage you all to do the same. What is something you're holding on to, something that makes you feel like you're a "before" person. Something that you feel like if you just change it, that you'll be better? I know with a lot of people it's weight. Why are we always in progress? Can't we just be what we are, in each stage of our lives without feeling like we're not good enough yet? 

Yes, change is good. But being present, being in the now is also good. I know a lot of moms struggle with a new body after kids. We're always comparing ourselves to who we were before kids. I want you to know that who you are now, is good. We can't go back in time, we can't be someone else. We are beautiful now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *