February 4, 2013

a day date to cure a cold #spsmarket #spon


***********************************************
Things have been a little crazy around the E house since the beginning of the year. And by crazy I mean sick. As in, the boys had a cold for a week, then Chikezie got the flu and was out for a week, then the boys got another cold the following week, and now I have their cold and they're still drudging through it. We were sick the entire month.

As much as I wanted to coop up in the house and clean (and blow my nose) all weekend, we really just needed to get out of the house. And by we, I mean Chikezie and I. It was my goal at the beginning of the year to get out on a date once a month. This one will have to count as January's. 

I forced myself into a cute outfit as if to trick my body and mind into thinking I wasn't sick. Dayquill helped, too.
(my purse was full of kleenex and hand sanitizer)

We headed to downtown San Jose to San Pedro Square Market, which was our first time there. We were a little confused at first on the format as we've never seen a place like this before so we took the first little while just to walk around and get a feel for it.
This place was huge. Two buildings full of local businesses (mostly restaurants) and lots of open seating and light. The layout reminded me of a mall food court, but a much cooler version full of unique restaurants and shops...and in a big industrial-ish/hip warehouse. Yeah. They also have a couple of nice bars in there and there are daily and weekly events including live bands in the outdoor patio area between the buildings. Pretty sweet.

  We chose to eat at the Little Cheese Shoppe and have some desert at the indoor ice cream/karaoke truck, Treatbot. I had the southwestern panini because I'm a sucker for anything southwestern and figured the spices might be enough for me to actually taste through my congestion. It definitely hit the spot.
For desert we both picked out a scoop of ice cream from Treatbot and walked around the area  little more. I got some chocolatey/caramely/oreoy mixture and oh you can trust that I could taste it . So. Good. (And really helped soothe my sore throat.)

Moral of the story? Even when you feel like crap, sometimes you have to take a little extra time to get out of the house with your husband. Parenting, sickness, a new year, new plans, busy work schedules, life. Sometimes it's necessary to put in a little extra effort to take a break from it all. Marriage is work. I don't care who you are or how much of a soul mate you think you married, if you don't make time for your marriage, even when you're not feeling at the top of your game, everyone suffers. 

Was it the most romantic date? Maybe not. But it was a date. When you're married with kids, any date is a win. And well, ice cream always makes things a little more special. (Even if Mr. Shy Husband doesn't want his picture taken.)

I was given $50 to spend at San Pedro Square Market. I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective, and the content and opinions expressed here are my own.

1 comment:

  1. So fun! We've been there once and really enjoyed it. Hope you all kick your sicknesses for good soon!

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *