i won't give up


I've really been meaning to tackle this whole blog thing but you guys, it's kind of been on the last of my list of things to do. We had family here visiting for 2 weeks over the holidays and I feel like life was kind of put on hold. Now that everyone's gone, the last two weeks have caught up with me and now I feel like I'm just trying to keep my head above water. 

One big thing I've been working on/dreading/stressing over is the boys speech therapy transitions. We're having a couple of different problems. When they turn 3 their speech therapy is transferred to the school district. They have to be tested through the school district to see if they even qualify for services. When I talked with a representative from the school district in November, she told me they typically only qualify the bottom 5%. I hope they don't qualify then but at the same time, I hope they do so we can have some for sure help for them. 

I requested that the boys receive some individual therapy through the state as well, just to really get the most out of our last few months with this therapy. This means even more hoops to jump through and more paperwork. The holidays slowed things down. I REALLY love ALLS, where the boys get their therapy now, but they were booked for individual therapy. And even if we can find a therapist, we'll get, what? 6 weeks with them before they're 3. 

SOO in effort to maybe get a therapist through our insurance that we could keep through this transition, I had to set up a doctor appointment with our family physician for a referral to a speech therapist (I'm really getting tired of having an HMO). We waited 2 weeks for this appointment just for her to write on a piece of paper the referral. I called the speech therapy office today that we were referred to (only TWO places within our network and both over 30 min away). I found out we'd be put on an 8 month waiting list for therapy. EIGHT MONTHS. 

I lost it. I cried. I cried with both of the boys, fighting and crying all morning out of frustration. Everyone assures me that they're so smart (and I KNOW they are) and that I'm a good mom and that I'm doing a great job. I know these things. I'm just so tired, you know? I just magically want someone to appear at my door saying they are here to help my babies learn to talk. And then teach me things I can do as well. 

I know we'll get there. I know this. I know they'll be talking my ear off someday. But help is out there, somewhere. There is so much frustration in this house. They've made amazing advances in the past couple of months but they're almost 3 years old now and very rarely using two words together. They don't participate with peers because they don't know how to ask, to what to say. 

So now, I'm on a mission to figure out another route. If they qualify through the school district to start more therapy in March, great. But I can't wait around until then with no back up plan. I'm fairly certain any other therapy will be out of our pocket (which gets super pricy with two kids). You guys have been a great support system for us through this journey and I know we're not alone.

If you know of any other resources I'm not using, please let me know!


2 comments :

  1. Ah spam comments. So funny. An ironic.

    I'm afraid I don't have any additional resources or helpful advice. Just wanted to say hang in there. The therapy situation will work out somehow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you heard of the Easter Seals program? We were just referred so I don't know too much until our initial visit on Thursday, but just from browsing the website they definitely provide services to those 3 and up.

    ReplyDelete