chopping it all off

If you've been following me the past few months, I finally got brave enough and decided just to chop my hair off. Granted, it was only between my chin/shoulders, I really felt like taking a chance. My first cut I modeled after Michelle Williams' pixie cut. It took me a couple of weeks to get used to it. I was getting a lot of compliments on it but was struggling to feel feminine. Some cute earrings and new lipstick later, I was doing better. 

Yesterday I had an appointment I was originally just going to get a trim and decided - what the hell, I'm almost there anyways, might as well just chop the rest off- and I did.  I showed my stylist this picture of Michelle Williams' shorter cut. (And had it lightened quite a bit. My scalp is sore today!)

I'm still getting used to the whole-no bangs thing. And the extremely short layers that I can occasionally feel sticking out/up. But this morning it took me about 3 minutes to comb through and put some wax in and I was done. To fix from wet, all I have to do is put in some shine serum and blow dry it with a brush. I finish with some styling wax/cream to give it some texture and I'm done. What usually takes me at least 30 min of mostly blow drying has been cut significantly.

I've noticed myself playing around with make up a little more over the past month, getting a little more brave to try new things. I'm not afraid to wear bright red lipstick on any normal day taking the boys out. I've used some new eye shadows (that I NEVER used before) and found a way to make them look natural. I've bought cute new earrings to accessorize with and they can always be seen. 

One nice thing about short hair is that even on my "lazy days" it looks pretty much done. Whereas, on my lazy days with long hair (which let's be honest, was most days) my hair was just thrown into a ponytail. I'd go without makeup and fail to wear much  more than sweats out to run errands. Now that my hair looks a little more put together without much effort, I find myself putting on some make up, putting some effort into my wardrobe...trying. When you're a stay-at-home-mom it can be so easy to fall into that rut of not giving a crap about how you look. That little bit of extra self confidence you get from actually getting yourself dressed and putting effort into how you look really makes a difference.

How many of us stare longingly at the short crops on Pinterest and wish we had the guts to just give it a try? Everyone thinks only certain people can pull off certain hair. I think this is completely false and SO limiting. Obviously, you have to take into account the texture of your hair and how much work you're willing to put in, but you really can do any length and I have the secret- 

CONFIDENCE. 

It takes a brave woman to cut off what is typically seen as "womanly" and really have nothing to hide behind anymore. You know those days when you have a zit on your face and can just strategically cover it with some bangs or leave your hair down and use it to distract from whatever flaw you feel you have. With short hair, you're out there, your face to the world. 




3 comments :

  1. I love it. I think this cut looks pretty on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! Congrats on the nerve to take it all off! I love the style but my hair is just way too poufy for that. I learned the hard way. I recently cut my waist length hair to my shoulders after my twins were born...a big change for me but it is still ponytailable. You're right, something like this does inspire one to try a little more. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! I have a short pixie cut too- had it for years- ill never grow it long. Earrings and mascara are my must-haves to not feel boy-ish. I will tell ya, I always think ppl think there is only one look, but try rockin it with a bandana either regular like a headband or even TuPac style and it's cute or little barrettes and hats. Have fun! P.s. the best product I found that is the perfect combo of matte and shine in one lil tub is Aveda's Control Paste.

    ReplyDelete