a good deed brightens a dark world



We don't do a whole lot of gifts for Christmas, mainly because we don't want to teach the boys that the holidays are all about what you get. They're about who you spend them with and the love you give. 

We did a major purge of our house a couple of weeks ago, taking an entire car jam-packed full of our things to Goodwill. Chikezie said the man at the donation center was shocked we were giving so much and that it was the most they'd received in a long while. I know all locations are different but it was surprising to me. I shop at Goodwill and feel like if I put something in, I'll find something I'll need there in return. And I know that so many people less fortunate than just someone looking for a deal can benefit from their mission. 

We had the boys put some of their toys in boxes (they didn't really know what they were doing) but they did it. We told them we were going to pick out some toys to give away so another boy or girl could play with it. I know they don't understand yet (as they were putting in some of their favorite toys) but they did it. And every year before Christmas we'll continue to give away all that excess we've accumulated over the year. 

It feels good to get rid of the clutter. It feels good to get rid of those things you're saving for if you "might" sometime need it. Someone else needs it now. 

I have a few things on my to-do list for the holiday season to help spread the love. Some may seem small, but every little thing makes a difference. I encourage you (if you haven't already) to make a small list of things you can do to make someone's day better in the coming weeks. 

What are you doing to make someone's day a little brighter?

- Bake cookies for our neighbors and take them over before Christmas.
- Pay for someone in line behind me at Starbucks.
- Send a card to a random person with a scratch off ticket like my friend Cody did. 
- Put the biggest bill you have in your wallet into the donation bucket at the grocery store. ($20)
- Donate our misc. to Goodwill
- Give a small gift to the boys' therapy teachers
- Donate some old books and toys to the therapy office for the waiting room
- Send holiday cards to friends and family

No comments :

Post a Comment