July 11, 2012

I'm less of a woman because I never cook.

Sometimes I feel like a totally bad wife/mother for not being the ultimate chef in the kitchen. It's not that I can't cook. It's not that I'm a bad cook. I just don't and here are a couple of my main issues:

1) I never have all the ingredients I need.
2) I don't make the time to do it and then by the time I need to, it's too late.
3) There are so many recipes in this world I get overwhelmed and don't know what to chose/where to start.
4) I can't just throw things together. I need directions to follow.

I think good cooking comes with experience and well, I'm just inexperienced. My mom cooked, usually many of the same easy things; goulache, chili, spaghetti, hamburger helper, pancakes for dinner...things that were cheap, quick and that my brothers and sister liked. They'd make huge batches of pancakes and freeze leftovers.   

Things I find myself cooking when I actually DO cook: burgers or chicken (on the Forman), some form of pasta with an easy canned sauce, taco night...that's pretty much it. I can make chocolate chip cookies from memory and can almost do it with banana bread, so you know how much I make those.

It was my goal this year to get more experience cooking. With all this moving business, this goal has been kind of lost in the wind and I we're just eating quick and easy things again. I want to cook dinner, I just don't know where to start. Pinterest is nice and all but so overwhelming.

I need your advice/help. Send me your favorite websites, recipes, cooking knowledge etc. I'm going to start piecing it together, using it and posting it here to show my progress. 

And to those of you who've had questions: No, we don't have a grill. Yes, we have a crockpot. I'm allergic to mushrooms, so non of those. And probably no recipes with seafood because we don't do much of that here. 

HALP guys!


1 comment:

  1. Heres an easy one I like to throw together...I call it my "lasagna that's not lasagna"

    Cook a box of noodles...doesn't matter what kind but I usually always have penne on hand
    Brown a lb of ground beef
    Combine cooked noodles and beef in a large bowl
    Add a jar of marinara sauce
    Add a bag of shredded mozzarella cheese
    Mix all together
    Put in greased baking pan and bake at 350 till cheese is melted.
    Boom bang done. Delicious.
    I sometimes add some cottage cheese if i have it.

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *