June 14, 2012

work it out, mama.


Last Tuesday I joined a gym. I joined a gym and got myself a trainer 3 times a month. I'd gone so long telling myself, "I know how to lose weight, I know how to work out without a gym, I've done it all before, I don't need help." That attitude got me nowhere. The fact is, that worked for me before I had kids but doesn't work for me anymore. It took me 2 years to figure this out, but I've figured it out.

Every time I'm shopping for clothes for myself I've been searching for clothes that make me look thinner. But what I've failed to realize is that when you're in shape, healthy and confident, clothes just look better on your body. I'm tired of being soft and squishy. I've just felt so puffy and NOT me. I want to feel strong. I want to just put clothes on, not searching through for the right outfit to cover up what I'm unhappy with. 

I need structure. I need to go to a gym. I need options. I need someone to TELL me what to do, even though I already know what needs done. I'm glad I finally decided to invest in myself and my own health, well-being, and confidence. 

Since last Tuesday, I've been at the gym every day except for Monday. I do around 45 minutes of weight training and then 30 minutes of cardio. I already feel the NEED to exercise after just doing it consistently for a week and a half. Something even more awesome? The gym I go to has a daycare. The boys are getting some good independent interaction with other kids while I get some gym time in during the days when it's less busy. 

I've also really cleaned up my eating, making sure to get protein in with each small meal, lowered my afternoon carbs, been eating more berries and apples, really just putting to use all the nutritional info I've KNOWN I need to do, to work. 

After just this short amount of time and a really consistent and focused effort, I already feel so much better and can see small changes in myself. My clothes aren't quite as clingy. I'm in a better mood in general. I feel more confident. I feel stronger. This one is big-my back feels the best it's felt since I hurt it in late February. 

I'm going to be working with a trainer for the next year, so this change is for good. They're confident I'll see the results I want as long as I put in the work. Now that I have some support, I feel a little more committed to this. Plus, how can you not be motivated to work out when you're at the gym with all these people trying just as hard?

They took all of my measurements on my first day and will measure me each month after. I don't have a scale, I'm not judging any of my successes by it. I know if I'm doing the right things, the weight will come off. I'll be sharing with you guys each month the changes. And I'm here to offer any support or advice. I'm not an expert but have been through a weight loss journey before as well as have studied a lot of this in school. 

Anyways. That's the new chapter. Oh, and we're moving to our house in 2 DAYS. Lots of good changes happening. 

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome!!!!
    I have recently started using the mfp app (following you) and am trying to watch what I eat first. Now that I am conscience of what is going in my body, I am going to make an attempt to get into the habit of working out again. I just finished physical therapy for bad knees. Now that I know the right exercises to do for them to get strengthened I am ready to start running again. I have signed up for the army 10 miler in October.
    I also know that when you are fit the clothes just fit better and give you insane amounts of confidence! I cannot fit into clothes that I wore when I was 30. That's just 2 years ago and it's such a downer.
    I recently read on this blog I follow - nerd fitness - to make small changes at first to make them a habit. I did that with my food. Next up is fitness.
    I look forward to reading what you have done and all. I also am a member of a gym but haven't gone since therapy. Hoping to get back in soon.

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *