big news!!

Things around here have been weird lately, huh? With the boys birthday, my back issues, my trip to Iowa...life has been slightly crazy. And there's been a little something else going on behind the scenes that  has been absolutely SO hard for me to keep quiet about. 

No, I'm not pregnant. I know that's the only secret people think we're left to keep anymore after we've had kids.

We're moving!! To Portland! 

Holy cows that felt good to get out! It's been weeks, maybe months in progress. Interviews, traveling, uncertainty, added on top of all of the other craziness of March. I've been practicing my living-life-one-day-at-a-time skills to the max. And as stressful as a 1,000 mile move could be, I'm happy to say I'm handling this all in stride.

Yes, I'm basing about 98% of my expectations of Portland solely on this show. Fred better be there.

So far I've got a PODS box scheduled to be delivered to our apt. late next month. We're working on a plan to get Chikezie to Portland in a couple of weeks to find us a place. I've ordered a whole bunch of packing supplies that should be here in a couple of days so I can start packing slowly. I've made lists out of my ass on anything you can make lists of. It's helping me keep a little bit of sanity.

And I keep the happy thought in the back of my mind, that we're going to be able to afford to rent a house with a YARD! I feel like jumping up and down every time I think of it. A YARD. It doesn't seem like much but when you've been living in an apartment for almost 10 years and now you have little people who need to run; it's a huge deal. With my back problems, a place without stairs is coming at exactly the right time. 

I'm so thankful to have a husband with such an adventurous spirit, like me. And with some kind of insane talent, and drive. I'm SO proud of him. And thankful. We knew we needed to leave Iowa for him to have the best opportunities. It was hard to leave everyone and everything we'd ever known at one of the most eventful (engagement, babies, marriage) times in our lives. Two years ago we moved 1500 miles to a place we'd never really been because we were ready for an adventure. The last two years here have been the best 2 of our lives, but it still hasn't felt like home. We've been restless. We knew this wasn't going to be the place. 

Now we're set to take on yet another adventure. We'll work at making more friends in a new city. We'll explore this new place together. And who knows, Portland may be it. From what our friends have told us, we'll fit right in. 

To read about the move from my husband's point of view (and a sweet new page to go with it) go HERE.

Are you from the PNW? Leave a comment here and introduce yourself! We need friends lol. And we need advice! Good places to eat/ visit? Good neighborhoods close-ish to downtown to live in?

 OR

Have you moved long distance before? Any advice or tips for us?

4 comments :

  1. That's so exciting. My little family lives near Portland and we love it! You will have such a fun time exploring the area!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will love it! I'm 5 hours South of it and we have lots of friends and family there. It's gorgeous and fun and Oregon really is the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Mandy!!! That's sooo exciting. A house and a yard?!? Wow sounds like a dream to me. I'm sure you guys will be so happy and feel at home. Every time I've visited Portland I've loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so jealous I want to kick myself in the face. We've been trying to move to PDX for a year now, but my hubs can't find a job (he's an attorney), and we can't leave his law practice here without someone to take over. You'll love Portland, and if you're anything like me, it'll feel like the home you've always searched for. It's a soul-home, that's for certain. Oh, and I'm amelie522 on Instagram, by the way.

    ReplyDelete