November 8, 2011

how to clean your hair with baking soda

I've talked to you guys recently about my curly hair and ways I'm learning to care for it. I've stopped using sulfate shampoos and only wash my scalp twice a week with a sulfate free, gentle shampoo. 
Why have I decided to stop using regular shampoo and conditioner? 
  1. If I'm working on putting more natural and unprocessed crap into my body, wouldn't it be the same for my skin? Shampoos and conditioners are marketed to us promising us that they're saving our hair when really they're full of harsh chemicals that cause the problems to begin with.
  2. It's one less thing I need to buy. 
  3. Shampoo pretty much strips your head of it's natural oils, and then you need to buy a whole mess of other products to combat the dryness. When really, your head pretty much knows what to do if you let it do it's thing.

Naturally, water can't get rid of all the build up of leave in conditioner and gel in my hair and I've recently found out a way to easily clean my hair of product build up using 2 ingredients I'm pretty sure every one of you guys have. Baking soda and water.

That's right, baking soda in your hairs.

16 oz warm water
1 tbsp baking soda

I wet my hair in the shower, massaging my scalp a little to open up hair follicles, get things going. Then, pour the baking soda/water mixture over my head evenly, starting at my hairline. I let it sit while I do my thing and then rinse it out thoroughly before I get out of the shower.

That's it! My hair literally feels squeaky clean afterward. Now, you can vary the amounts you use of this recipe based on your hair thickness and length, this is just what works for me. 

I will say that my scalp is still going through a transitional period where it's producing a lot of oil because it's used to being stripped of oil with shampoo. Eventually it'll even itself out and is slowly getting a little better. 

One thing I really love about this natural cleansing method is that my hair's natural oils are in tact and that I NEVER have fly-aways. The oils hold everything together and I can pull my hair back pretty easily and everything stays. Kind of like a day or two after washing your hair when everything just looks better.

If you have any other natural recipes for me or sites with good information-feel free to share! I'm just getting into this and am very eager to learn more. 

And as always, if you have any questions, let me know!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *