about blogging

I like blogging, I really do. I've met some really cool people through my blog, I've been inspired to open an etsy shop because of the blogs I read, I think I've been able to help or maybe inspire some people through my blog but most importantly, I have a daily record of motherhood. How awesome is it that on any particular day when I'm feeling a little sentimental I can click on pretty much any day of the boys' lives and see what they were doing, what I was feeling, etc. (And I really do look back....a LOT.)

Lately I've been thinking a lot about my blogging philosophy. I entered the blogging world blindly. As someone who wanted to keep my family and friends updated on our lives so far away. I quickly learned of this huge world of "mom blogging". I guess that's what I am, since I blog a lot about being a mom. I like the support I've seen in the world of mom blogging. When someone has a problem or question, you're likely to get at least one person commenting to help you out.

I don't ever want anyone to feel unwelcome here. This blog is not in competition with any other blogs. If I were trying to make money, maybe. But that's not why I'm here. I'd like to continue to connect with my readers. I want to hopefully inspire someone along the way. My blog is a lot like I am in real life....and I'm a lover. And a dreamer.

I know I've been turned away when trying to network with bigger blogs. It's such a sucky feeling. They don't care who I am. They care about the numbers, they care about what I can do for them. People don't want to work with a blog smaller than theirs if they don't think the return will be equal to their investment. As my blog readership grows, I don't want anyone to ever feel that way here. No matter how big or small, if you ask for my help or reach out to me, I will respond. 

I don't want to be one of those blogs. I'm ok with being small. I love the people I've met and yes, I'd love to expand my readership but I'm going to do it on my terms, and without shoving others down to get there. And it's hard not to get sucked into the competition. Seeing that number of followers and page hits grow is a nice feeling, but only if you feel good about how you're doing it. 

I encourage everyone to always put yourself in someone else's shoes. And remember that blogging is a beast that can get way out of hand if you forget who you are and why you started it.


No comments :

Post a Comment