time management

Life has been crazy lately you guys. I'm starting to fully get into the mom thing I think. I feel like I spend the majority of the day just cleaning up after my family. I mean, I'm not a clean freak by any means but I feel like I'm constantly trying to keep up with everything around the house. I like a clean home. Sometimes it's messy, but always clean. Or I try to keep it that way. However I'm finally starting to realize that being a stay at home mom requires a lot more organization and time management than I expected.


I've resorted to To-Do lists. I feel like to-do lists are so Type-A and I have never considered myself a Type-A kind of person. I used to use lists to keep me on task during my 9-5 job before the boys were born. I liked the feeling of checking things off a list and having a clear visual of the things I needed to do. It's interesting looking back to a working styles assessment I did at the beginning of grad school and seeing how it applies to my work here at home. 

Some people work very methodically; working for 2 hrs, breaking for 20 minutes (or something like that) throughout the day. Some people pound everything out and can't take a break until they're done. Or there's me. I'm a mixture of the two. My working style consists of a few hours of intense, super focused work, followed by a long break. And I repeat the cycle. To some people it may look like I'm not doing much because I seem to be "breaking" a lot, but the reality is I get everything done in my super focused "zone" time. And I'm finding this is true to my home life as well. 

This is where my to-do lists come in. I haven't really been one to make huge lists at home unless I'm packing to go somewhere or there is some event going on but at the moment I'm starting to forget things if I don't write them down. (HOW OLD DOES THAT SOUND?!?!) Like my weekly Mondays are Awesome posts? Where is that today? Oh, I don't know. I just TODAY remembered that it was Monday. 

I've been trying to keep a mental to-do list but it just isn't cutting it. With babies and husband and blogging and my shop, things just slip my mind very easily. I'm hoping these lists will help me be more productive with the time that I'm really focused and hopefully start being more organized with my time. This may sound obvious to a lot of you but my brain works weird. 

So, here's to being more organized with our lives and running this home a little more like an office. I was good at that. 

  • How do you manage your time as a stay-at-home-parent? 
  • What tips/tricks do you have that really help keep you organized?

No comments :

Post a Comment