June 30, 2011

our wedding

I posted yesterday on the anniversary of our engagement and got a few questions about our wedding and if we were married yet. I guess I've never told the story of how we were married. 

As we know, I was pregnant shortly after we were engaged. I quit my job, packed 2 suitcases and moved my little self to California. We hadn't really planned on a wedding at that point because we'd only been engaged for a couple of months and were still adjusting to a new life in a studio apartment, as an engaged couple, expecting twins.

I quit my job to move and my health benefits also ended 30 days after I left (so I would have been without insurance at the beginning of October 2009). We'd done some research on our other options and the easiest and least expensive solution was for us to be married so I could receive the health benefits under Chikezie's plan. I know it doesn't seem like the most romantic thing, but that's what we needed to do at the time. My health and the boys' health was what was most important and we decided to do what was necessary. And I mean, it's not like we weren't going to get married, we just hadn't planned on doing it so soon.

So on Friday, September 25, 2009 Chikezie stopped home to pick me up over his lunch break so we could head to the Laguna Hills Courthouse and get ourselves hitched. We didn't have any family nearby and needed to be officially married before the 30th for the health benefits to cross over. 

After about 30 minutes in line at the courthouse we had all of our paperwork complete. The woman certified to marry us took us into a little side room where she could perform the ceremony. She counted as the witness so we didn't need anyone else there. She said a few things, we repeated the vows she asked us to, we kissed and done! The whole thing took probably 7 minutes. 

Afterward we went to eat lunch and Chikezie headed back to work, a married man.

I would not have had it any other way. To those with big plans for weddings and a big party, it may seem so unromantic and not special. I think sometimes we get caught up in the whole mess of weddings that we forget the reason it's all happening; two people committing to spend their lives together. I know our family and friends really wish they could have been there to witness it and at times I wish that, too. 

I look back on that day with so much happiness. We didn't take a single picture, we wore shorts and t-shirts, we didn't have to entertain anyone or focus on a single thing but each other. It's a memory that only Chikezie and I share about the day we promised to love each other for better or for worse. I don't know what's more romantic than that. It was just our style. We've always had kind of an understated love. One that just works, that paddles quietly behind the scenes keeping it all together. Our love isn't out there, its not a show for others, it just exists.

We plan on one day in the future having some kind of vow renewal ceremony with a little reception of close friends and family to celebrate our love and new family. But for now, I'm completely happy with being Mrs. Ejiasi, the one who didn't wear a white dress on her wedding day. The one who had two little babies growing in her tummy as she and her first love promised to have true love forever. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *