I found an old binder today that I've been saving for awhile. It's filled with laminte pages I wanted to save to house workouts I find appealing from all of my fitness magazines. The binder is also full of all of my old papers and coursework from the Health Promotion Practicum I took in college. And I found some amazing things in this binder.
First, from my practicum coursework I found a reflection paper that had this:
"Another positive interaction I had during the health practicum was at one of the fitness assessments at the field house. On this particular Tuesday night, a woman came to me who had recently had a baby and hadn't exercised or been physically active for quite some time. She wanted to do the fitness assessment to have a gauge of her general fitness so she'd have a starting point for a new routine. I thought the entire assessment went great, mainly because she was in the perfect stage of change to be doing a fitness assessment and was very hopeful and open to the information I was giving her about improving her scores. This was probably the first time throughout the practicum and through all of my assessments that I felt I had really helped someone make a step in the right direction toward leading a more physically active lifestyle. I realized also realized my passion for promoting healthy lifestyles and watching people succeed at making changes to better their lives."
If this wasn't a sure sign from the big guns upstairs I don't know what is. I've been wanting to become a certified personal trainer for years. I got my coaching license in Iowa a couple of years ago and loved coaching but even then I realized how much I wanted to train others. I'm not saying I want to be the next Jillian Michaels but this paper was just kind of a reminder of what I've always loved. So now...it's time to do some research and get the ball rolling. I'm ready.
Also in the binder I found some laminate pages that I'd saved which already had something in all of the pages; a list I'd made in high school of things I wanted to do before I died.
Well high school Mandey, you've got a good start:
- Go to a professional football game.
- Play a stringed instrument. (Piano doesn't count.) I have the guitar! I'm working on it.
- Learn a new sport.
Get a check for over $1000.
- Visit a tropical island.
- Do the splits. Ugh I should probably start practicing that one since I'm not getting any more flexible with time.
Fall in love.And I married him.
- Play Bethoven's Moonlight Sonata. Dang! This one is hard. I really need a piano or keyboard.
- Win a game of chess. I guess that means I need to learn chess.
- Pay off all debt. It'll be a long time before that one is crossed off! Thanks a lot, college.
- Go to a drive in movie theatre.
Camp in a tent. Had the BEST time camping in college!
- Grow my hair long...and then donate it. I guess I'll start that one now.
- Enjoy New York City at Christmas time. I was there for a month in the summer but I guess that doesn't count.
- Ride in a cable car in San Francisco.
Earn a college degree. Go Hawks!
- Fly first class.
- Light a firecracker. Yikes. I'm terrified they're going to blow me up.
- See a wonder of the world.
- Take a vacation with just one other person. Amazingly enough, Chikezie and I haven't ever taken a real vacation.
- Drive a motorcycle.
- Tour a vineyard and sample the wine.
Climb a mountain.
Get a New Year's kiss.What!? I was in high school!
- Go to Mardi Gras.
Make a prank phone call.
- Learn to tap dance.
Go to a piano bar.
- Help build a house.
Go get 'em tiger.