the binder

I found an old binder today that I've been saving for awhile. It's filled with laminte pages I wanted to save to house workouts I find appealing from all of my fitness magazines. The binder is also full of all of my old papers and coursework from the Health Promotion Practicum I took in college. And I found some amazing things in this binder.

First, from my practicum coursework I found a reflection paper that had this:
"Another positive interaction I had during the health practicum was at one of the fitness assessments at the field house. On this particular Tuesday night, a woman came to me who had recently had a baby and hadn't exercised or been physically active for quite some time. She wanted to do the fitness assessment to have a gauge of her general fitness so she'd have a starting point for a new routine. I thought the entire assessment went great, mainly because she was in the perfect stage of change to be doing a fitness assessment and was very hopeful and open to the information I was giving her about improving her scores. This was probably the first time throughout the practicum and through all of my assessments that I felt I had really helped someone make a step in the right direction toward leading a more physically active lifestyle. I realized also realized my passion for promoting healthy lifestyles and watching people succeed at making changes to better their lives."
If this wasn't a sure sign from the big guns upstairs I don't know what is. I've been wanting to become a certified personal trainer for years. I got my coaching license in Iowa a couple of years ago and loved coaching but even then I realized how much I wanted to train others. I'm not saying I want to be the next Jillian Michaels but this paper was just  kind of a reminder of what I've always loved. So now...it's time to do some research and get the ball rolling. I'm ready. 

Also in the binder I found some laminate pages that I'd saved which already had something in all of the pages; a list I'd made in high school of things I wanted to do before I died. 
Well high school Mandey, you've got a good start:

  • Give birth. 
  • Go to a professional football game. 
  • Play a stringed instrument. (Piano doesn't count.) I have the guitar! I'm working on it.
  • Learn a new sport.
  • Get a check for over $1000. 
  • Visit a tropical island.
  • Do the splits. Ugh I should probably start practicing that one since I'm not getting any more flexible with time. 
  • Fall in love. And I married him.
  • Play Bethoven's Moonlight Sonata. Dang! This one is hard. I really need a piano or keyboard. 
  • Win a game of chess. I guess that means I need to learn chess.
  • Pay off all debt. It'll be a long time before that one is crossed off! Thanks a lot, college.
  • Go to a drive in movie theatre. 
  • Camp in a tent. Had the BEST time camping in college!
  • Grow my hair long...and then donate it. I guess I'll start that one now.
  • Enjoy New York City at Christmas time. I was there for a month in the summer but I guess that doesn't count.
  • Ride in a cable car in San Francisco. 
  • Earn a college degree. Go Hawks!
  • Fly first class.
  • Light a firecracker. Yikes. I'm terrified they're going to blow me up.
  • See a wonder of the world.
  • Take a vacation with just one other person. Amazingly enough, Chikezie and I haven't ever taken a real vacation.
  • Drive a motorcycle.
  • Tour a vineyard and sample the wine.
  • Climb a mountain. 
  • Skydive. 
  • Get a New Year's kiss. What!? I was in high school!
  • Go to Mardi Gras.
  • Make a prank phone call.
  • Learn to tap dance.
  • Go to a piano bar
  • Help build a house.
Go get 'em tiger.

No comments :

Post a Comment