Appreciation

I just came across this yesterday and decided I definitely want to participate. I had a very eventful year and have a LOT to reflect upon!


December 14 – Appreciate

What’s the one thing you have come to appreciate most in the past year? How do you express gratitude for it?

(Author: Victoria Klein)


Ok, I have a crap ton of things to be appreciative of in the past year. So many changes have come to my life and I have one word that is just blaring in my mind here: family. FAMILY. (I consider a lot of my close friends family.)

You don't know what you have until it's gone, right? I've lived within a few hours of most of my family my whole life. And just last year we moved (according to Google Maps) 1,683 miles away from home. And started a family. All of those first moments you want your family and friends to be a part of in your life (the birth of your first kid(s)) for example, was a big thing this year for me. It was very hard for me to be here, so far away from everyone and everything I've ever known. 

If I were single and doing my thing, I would have been fine. But now it's more than just me. I want my babies to know their grandmas and grandpas and aunts and uncles like I did. I got to see my family all the time growing up because we all lived within a few hours of each other. I want to show my kids off to my family. I want to take the kids to grandma and grandpa's house for a sleep over so Daddy and I can have some alone time. 

I want to meet up with friends. To be 100% honest, most days I go without talking to a single person (or seeing anyone besides my three guys). I call my mom and talk her ear off, because I just want to talk to SOMEONE. I call my dad and bother him at work so I can talk to another adult. And then, because I have no experiences outside of diapers, baby food and babble, and my crafting (alone) when I'm around adults all I can find myself talking about is that! I don't really have any other current experiences to relate to others about besides my kids. And I HATE being THAT person. That can only talk about her kids. I'm working on making new friends here. But it's not easy. I miss my old friends, the ones I can REALLY be myself around. The ones who I have memories and experiences with. 

Ok so this post has become a big complaint... back to appreciation. In 2010 I've learned how much I appreciate being near friends and family and how much I truly miss them. BUT, if being here is what we needed to do for Chikezie to have a job that can support us, and open doors for greater opportunities in the future... so I can stay home with my babies, then I'd make all these choices 100 times over. 

5 comments :

  1. SO glad you're Reverb10-ing!!! Yay!! I'm loving it so far. I have a bunch to catch up on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to Reverb10! It's been really interesting so far!
    @libismorgan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it is so hard to move away from loved ones. Here's hoping you find yourself with a new friend family in your new home for 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is really hard to move away as an adult. I struggled when we moved from Ohio to San Francisco 5 years ago. I had a really hard time making friends. It just takes time... :) I found a couple of craft groups online through etsy and through craft shows and I found that I met a lot of great people I like to be around through that. Chin up! You will find more peeps :) I KNOW about the California peeps, you just got to find the good ones :) :) Most of my best friends out here are transplants from the Midwest just like me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally get this. Most days I talk to myself and my three year old, and he just says. . . you know. . .Eat NOW and NOOOOO!

    Best of wishes.

    - Lauren

    Ladaisi Blog

    ReplyDelete