Prematurity Awareness Month

Happy November Ya'll! I love the beginning of a new month. It's like a fresh start in time to get all those things done you want to, finish that project you've been working on, start something you've been waiting too long to start. Dreams are big at the beginning of the month. 


This month is actually National Prematurity Awareness Month. This is a subject very near and dear to my heart. As a mom of multiples, I know just how big the risk of prematurity is to all of us, and the fight we go through each day of our pregnancy to keep those little ones in as long as we can. 

I was fortunate enough to not have a job pretty much all of my pregnancy. At times I was so angry because I wished I could be earning money but I look back on that time as a blessing. I spent my entire pregnancy resting. I went on walks and did moderate activity at first but when the dudes got heavy, I rested my little butt off. And let me tell you, resting is HARD work. There are a million things around you that you want to do but can't. You're not resting because you WANT to, you're resting because you need to. I spent those months really focusing on the boys and getting them to term.

They were born at 36 weeks, which is pretty average for moms of twins. I've read (and I don't know if this is fact) that 50 percent of moms go before 36wks, 50 percent after. The risks associated with prematurity I'm sure is apparent to all of you but if you want to learn more GO HERE to the March of Dimes website to learn some very interesting facts about how serious this problem really is.

As most of you know my brothers and sister are triplets:
Us circa 2005. They're in high school now!

They were born around 33 weeks (which was great for triplets) but was still very early. Josh was 3lbs 5oz, Kristen was 3lb 10oz and Bryce was 3lb 4oz and they were in the hospital for over a month. My brothers developed a very dangerous infection and all three were flown to a hospital an hour and a half away from home so they could get better care. 

It's not only the premature babies that go through a lot either. Our life was very chaotic during that time. I lived with my grandparents, my dad still worked during the week (he worked an hour away and he wouldn't have been able to be around for me), and my mom stayed in Omaha at the Ronald McDonald house to be near the triplets. When we brought them home they had apnea monitors that made going anywhere in the cold winter even more of a production. 

So, in honor of Prematurity Awareness Month, educate yourself on the serious health risks of prematurity and help to bring awareness to this problem. The more we know, the more we'll be able to take as many precautions as we can to prevent premature births and the things that go along with them!


4 comments :

  1. Hey~

    I've been following your blog for some time now and just wanted to say I love reading your posts. Also, thanks for sharing about Prematurity Awareness Month - I didn't even know!

    - Lauren
    www.ladaisi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm so glad to see you spreading the word about this issue! my boys were preemies but we were so lucky to have made it to 34 weeks. even being so close to the magic number (36) we still spent two long weeks in the NICU. after having eli and jude, i was shocked to find that a huge number of my friends were actually preemies also. i think as a parent of multiples, i had forgotten that this is a huge problem for singletons too! i commend you for raising awareness and i hope you're having a great november! :)

    --Alex

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fact that you decided to share this. Many women don't know about the effects of premature birth unless they experience themselves. I had no idea you were a sibling of triplets! How neat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for helping to spread the word!

    Preemies mean so much to us. I wanted to let you know that we will be participating in the Bloggers Unite Fight for Preemies event on November 17th, Prematurity Awareness Day. I thought you might be interested in joining us. Here’s a link for more info and to sign up to help us spread the word: http://bit.ly/a6y8hj. Nov. 17th is the day we all fight – because babies shouldn’t have to.

    ReplyDelete