Julian and Isaiah's Grand Entrance

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

I was feeling a lot of contractions on Wednesday night (March 3) that were stronger than usual. I'd had braxton hicks pretty much trough my entire 3rd trimester so I was pretty used to it.  I'd been to the hospital 3 times before for false alarm labor and I was sent back each time so I was very reluctant to call in because I just KNEW they'd send me home. However I also knew at that at 36 weeks these contractions could very well be the REAL THING. I called in and just as I suspected, they wanted me to come in for monitoring. Chikezie was still at work so I told him to take his time and I'd get everything ready by the time he got there. 
The morning of March 3, hours before having the boys. 
We got to the hospital a little after 7 and after the usual 45 minutes of trying to get both babies and my uterus monitored, I was  informed contractions were about 1-2 minutes apart, I was 70% effaced and 1cm dilated.  I couldn't feel half the contractions so I still didn't think anything would happen. 
The doctor on call, Dr. May, was awesome. I’d seen him on one occasion before when my OB was at a surgery and I was so relieved that he was there and I knew he had experience with twins. He had such a calming, father-like presence and was just so good at making me feel confident and calm. He informed me that because we were at 36 weeks, he had a hard time believing the contractions I was having weren't the “real thing”.  Soon after, another doctor came in and did an ultrasound to check of Baby B (Isaiah) was still breech, and he sure was!  Because he was breech, there would be an increased risk during a vaginal delivery and Dr. May informed us it was in our best interest to have a c-section.  I'd kind of been preparing myself for the idea of a c-section but now it was all real. There was one woman in the bed across from me who would be first, as she was in advanced stages of labor and her c-section was more urgent than mine.  This meant it would be about 1 1/2 hrs until we’d be in surgery, having our babies. HOLY CRAP. 
Waiting in Labor and Delivery, one hour left of babies in belly.

So many emotions ran over me at that moment, I was going to be a mommy! In an hour and a half! I was balling…out of both excitement and fear. I’ve never had any sort of surgery in my life and although c-sections are pretty common practice, who knows how my body would react. When the anistesiologist came in to consult with me while I was being prepped for surgery, my biggest concern wasn’t of all the horrible things that could happen that he listed off, but the fact that I’d eaten 4 hrs before and the anestesia could make me throw up. I HATE throwing up. I didn't puke once throughout my pregnancy and I was so freaked out that I might during the delivery. I was also wondering when I’d get to eat again. I was freaking starving... I had no idea that after my surgery I’d have no appetite for a couple days.
Thankfully, Chikezie was able to calm me down a little before surgery. I walked down to the OR and had originally thought Chikezie would have to wait outside until I was fully prepped but they let him hold my hand during the spinal. Some women say the spinal was nothing and they didn't feel a thing. Well, mine hurt. I was laying on my side curled up in the fetal position getting FORCED into the fetal position because my belly was so big I couldn't really bend that way and I flinched the first time the needle went in. This tiny movement was enough to botch the whole thing and they had to re do the whole thing. Awesome! Chikezie held my hand the entire time and as soon as I was numb, they didn’t waste any time getting to work.  I was still able to move my right toes though and I was sort of freaking out that I wasn't numb enough yet. Little did I know they were already cutting into me as I was trying to wiggle my toes. 
I felt a lot of pressure and my body was moving so I knew they were doing something. The pressure kind of freaked me out and Chikezie could tell I was nervous-so he started humming a song to me as the anesthesiologist made jokes about how awesome they all were because they'd had 11 c-secitions that day.  After what felt like only a few seconds I felt a big tug and at 11:07 p.m. they lifted Julian above the curtain so I could see him-arms stretched out wide, mouth open and screaming. INSTANT. LOVE.
A few seconds later they broke the water for Baby B, there was another tug, at 11:08 p.m. I saw Isaiah's little stiff body with his arms wide open...and then another scream. DOUBLE. LOVE. 
Julian Tochi James. Born at 11:07 pm on March 3, 2010. He weighed 5lbs 10 oz and was 18 1/2 in long.




Isaiah Chidi Hamilton. Born at 11:08 pm March 3, 2010. He weighed 6lbs 5oz and was 19 in long.

I was a babbling brook of tears. I was a mommy now. I listened to my boys crying for me across the room. Julian quieted after a minute but Isaiah was extra assertive. Just like in my belly, he didn't want anybody bothering him. Chikezie walked over to take a couple pictures of them, and then came back to my side to make sure I was ok. He sat up straight and alert, watching everything they did to the boys. 
At that moment, he turned into a Daddy.
They brought Julian over for Chikezie to hold, and watching my husband hold his first born son for the first time made me cry even harder. I got to kiss Julian and I tried to get a good glimpse of him through my tear-splattered glasses. Then Isaiah came to say hi to us before they were taken to the recovery room, followed by Chikezie.
After the doctors stitched me up, I was wheeled to the recovery room (it was  HUGE...one perk of having twins!) to be with my dudes. There were many of nurses in the room, for both of the boys and for me. Chikezie told me Julian had his eyes open the whole time and Isaiah was just mad at all the poking and wanted to sleep. I was in complete bliss and exhausted. We called our parents and I called my bestie to tell her everyone was healthy...the boys went to the nursery that night and we got one of our last nights of good sleep. Well, I half slept. 
The boys were completely healthy and in great condition for babies born at 36 weeks. Not a single thing wrong with either boy and they spent the next few days in our room with us. We couldn't have asked for a better experience and love our baby boys to pieces.







11 comments:

  1. This brought tears to my eyes! They were and are very beautiful babies.....Thanks for sharing... Love the picture of Daddy holding Julian, precious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mandey, i just have to tell you that this made me cry! i loved that your man was humming to you to help ease your nervousness. it sounds like an amazing day and an amazing love story between you and chikezie and your boys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great birth story! What handsome boys you have.
    take care,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I though I would be the one calming Chikezie down (he gets jumpy around blood/guts/needles) but he was awesome. It really was a special night for us. And I'm so, so, SO thankful that our boys were healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful story!! You are such an amazing mama!! Your little dudes are beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh-- they are PRECIOUS! And I love their names! Before I knew I was having a girl, I loved the name Isaiah for a boy. I love the meaning. You have such a beautiful family!

    I am following!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bawled when I read this! My poor lap top is covered in tears. Your story is amazing and wonderful! What a lucky momma and daddy you are! I love watching your family grow. Such a beautiful bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you guys enjoy this story-It felt good writing it all down and brought back all the emotions I felt on that day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a beautiful story darling! and your boys are very handsome :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my.. they are so precious. And you were such a skinny pregnant lady! Life is so unfair.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It might be because I'm 7 1/2 months pregnant, but this post made me tear up. You have a beautiful family :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger

Hover Pin It Code

<
Related Posts with Thumbnails