October 12, 2010

better as a team

I took this picture a couple days after we were "officially" married. It's one of my favorite pictures ever, and probably our first of our marriage. 

We've been through a lot in our *almost* 5 year relationship. Would I have ever predicted where we are now 5 years ago? Hell-to-the-no. I remember going on a walk in an Iowa City park near his old place on one unseasonably warm winter day. Chikezie had gotten a job in Des Moines and would be moving a couple hours away. I didn't have a car in college and his was pretty unreliable so he might as well have been 10 hours away. 

We walked and did what we do best, talk. One thing I've always felt so confident in is our communication. We don't let issues go. If there is a problem at all, it's discussed. No fighting. An argument here and there that's usually cleared up. But we get it out. Even back then, only a few months into our love affair and we were talking things out. 

Should we stay together and deal with this distance so early in our relationship? Should we make these sacrifices now? Do we love each other enough to get through it? 

We decided that day that we are SO much better as a team. We balance each other out. He calms me down when I get too worked up. I get him going when he needs the motivation.
I'm so glad we made that decision when we did. Look how far we've come.


Lovely Photo - Wordless or Not-So-Wordless Wednesday at Aspire   the long road


16 comments:

  1. i just came across your blog and have to say... you have the cutest little dudes EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful photo. Love the words too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a sweet post and I LOVE the picture!

    New follower from WW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful words and a perfect photo. Really, really beautiful.

    Erika B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute photo! I am now following you thanks to Welcome Wednesday, and it would be nice if you could share the love back on my blog;)
    Also don't forget, if you need any help increasing your blog's traffic or easy blog design tips, you know where to come!
    Today we teach another useful tip to improve your blog's traffic, so make sure you don't miss it! Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww. Yay for you sticking with it. Marriage is so hard. It is No joke that is for sure! I love the picture. Black and white is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, that's a beautiful story and photograph. 2 months after I met my husband I was moving from Seattle to St. Louis to start law school. He made the decision to quit his high-paying job and follow me. Everyone said we were crazy, but we just knew....

    Anyway, I'm just popping in from Welcome Wednesday and am now following your lovely blog. Stop by when you get a chance!
    living well, spending less

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful picture and such beautiful words to go with it. Your dudes are pretty adorable too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so sweet. My husband is from Senegal, and we definitely had to talk about the long distance thing early on (I met him while studying in Senegal). We did it for ten months while waiting for all the paperwork to go through. It was difficult but so worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think this is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Afternoon!
    I'm your newest follower, stop on by...
    http://www.beckhamandbloom.com
    Melly-

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous picture! I'm stopping by from Welcome Wednesday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful blog!
    Hello! I'm your newest follower from Welcome Wed. I'd love it if you'd consider following me too (-:
    Malia
    www.yesterdayontuesday.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful photo! I'm your newest follower from Welcome Wednesday!
    http://hearditfromthehills.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just stopped by and saw this lovely little blog of yours and had to press the Follow button. :-)

    What precious little boys you have!

    I would love if you stopped by my blog and followed me.

    Blessings,
    Maggie
    www.foreverfindingmybliss.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *