August 10, 2010

thoughts on a schedule

I was so tired this morning I didn't even attempt to go to the gym. However, little men had other ideas. They were up at 6:30 but we've had good nights the past couple of nights. 

We've been going to be a little later (between 8-9 instead of at 8) but the boys have been sleeping until 3:30 and 6:30. One usually wakes up early and the other sleeps all night. We're slowly getting better!! You know what I've been doing? NOTHING! I've seriously tried the rigid schedule idea but I really didn't like it. Maybe once they're older. I just can't force one baby to try to be in sync with the other. If I only had one baby I'd let him eat when he was hungry and sleep when he was tired. I think we're all almost more stressed and tired when I'm trying to keep everything "on schedule".

We usually stay awake for 1 1/2 -2 hrs and then take a nap. If Julian took forever to fall asleep, I'll let him sleep longer. Sometimes He'll take one long nap in the same time Isaiah takes two cat naps and eats in between. By the late afternoon they're both usually synced up so they're both tired for bed at the same time. 

Some moms of multiples need a schedule to have "me" time. I get plenty of that! They're usually asleep at the same time it's just that one wakes up a little earlier. Then I can focus on one baby, he can get some good play time in and we're both happy. 

We're finally getting to the point where I feel comfortable everyday and their patterns are predictable enough that I know what's up next each day. Yeah, the boys somewhat dictate their own schedule. (you can yell at me all you want) But it works for us. We're flexible each day so if we happen to go somewhere or something is off, I'm not frantically worrying about keeping a schedule. We can enjoy the day and know the boys will adapt. 

Are there any other mamas out there who don't keep a rigid schedule?

4 comments:

  1. Well, I don't have a rigid schedule but my son fell naturally into a schedule with some guidance from us. It didn't happen until he was 9 months old. He usually takes two naps (once in the morning and once in the afternoon) and then is usually asleep for the evening at 8:00 p.m. and he's been sleeping until 6:30-7ish every morning. He's a lot more worn out now that he's walking (11 months). I know it has to be hard to find a consistent schedule with twins but they might just surprise you! Give it a little more time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We always let our boys "change up things" so you'll never get any yelling from me! (I still nurse my 30-month old.) I'm quite sure it's a whole new ballgame with multiples so I think your plan sounds pretty awesome.

    I think it's pretty darn cool that they are "different", too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never had a rigid schedule, but I was only dealing with one at a time (3 in total). My first slept 12 hrs at 3 months....my 2nd almost never slept 12 hours, my 3rd was mostly like my first, except more of a temper.....I say....do what feels right & works for YOU! Never mind what anyone else says!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've never had a schedule, but a friend of mine strictly schedules...you know what, both our kids have turned out just fine. You can't tell which kids follwed the clock and which kids followed their inner rhythms.

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *