August 31, 2010

babies in our room

The boys still sleep in our room. They first slept in a co-sleeper next to our bed. Then we got a crib and put them both in the crib at the end of the bed. Now they're both at the end of our bed, Julian in the crib, Isaiah in the co-sleeper which is now converted into play-pen of sorts. We're saving up a little extra cash to get Isaiah a crib, too. 

I'm really debating on putting the boys in their own room. They're getting closer to sleeping through the night. Julian is closest I think. He has been sleeping until around 6-7 for the past week. Isaiah still wakes up at least once, but a couple times has slept until early morning. I feel a little better about moving them now that they sleep longer at night. I wouldn't be making as many trips to their room if they're sleeping longer. 

Pros:
  1. I will get my bedroom to myself again. I can lay in bed and read at night, which is something I've really missed doing before bed.
  2. I wake up at almost every little noise the boys make. Some nights they squirm a lot, and I end up awake.
  3. I've read if you're going to move your kids to their own room or do any kind of "sleep training" between 6-7 months is a good time because separation anxiety is low at that time.
  4. I finally can decorate and build a bedroom for my babies, something I haven't been able to do yet.
  5. And we'll have a concentrated area of all of their things instead of everything in all rooms of our apartment.

Cons:
  1. I'm sad they have to leave me. There's something comforting about having them in the bedroom so close.
  2. It's easier to help them if they cry if they're right across from us.
  3. I don't want them to be scared or go through any separation anxiety if they don't have to. I do however, feel better that they have each other. So at least they won't be alone in the room. 
  4. Their bedroom is on the opposite side of the apartment. So far away!

This is our apartment layout (the text is backwards because I had to reverse the pic..but you get the point). But as you can see, the boys' room is on the left...the complete opposite side of the apartment.

When I asked Chikezie about it, he really just wants them in our room because he thinks it's easier to take care of them at night if they're there. Which is true. But maybe they'll sleep better without us making noise in the room too? I've heard of people moving their kids and they sleep amazing once they have their own room. 

I think maybe if I just do it and get it over with maybe it won't be as bad as I'm building it up to be. I just know that I'm starting my training program for the marathon in a couple weeks and I'm going to need some quality sleep. 

So what do you guys think I should do?
What did you do with your kids?
Help!

12 comments:

  1. we had Dane sleep in our room until he was about 3 or 4 months. I was just easier and our apartment had no central air so it was a lot cooler in our room. We moved into a new house and decided not to have him in our room anymore. He cried for about 2 nights and then it was over. It was more inconvenient to get up and walk across the house to get him, but I think it is good for their independence. We never had Dane co-sleep in our bed, just something we decided not to do. He to this day won't sleep in our bed! Think about having the room to yourselves for you and your hubby :) you won't regret it! and they will probably sleep better. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you'll love it...and I'm an overly-freakin'-out-about-everything kind of mom. :o)

    Luke slept in our bed for his 1st 6 months b/c I'm big on nursing straight from the source. (It was so great, but I get that it's not for everyone.) After that I was happy to have him sleep across the house. When the baby cries for no real reason (and they will...a lot) you don't hear it as easily. A happy, well-rested Mama is priceless. XO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. DO IT! i havent had to do it with a 2nd child yet but i would assume its much easier to do at an earlier time than when theyre closer to one, and can understand whats going on more clearly. i think your right on them having each other, so they wont be "lonely" in there. i say go for it Mandy.. tell Chikezie if he wants to, he can go have slumber parties with them over there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. For both my boys i went with a "once they can sit up on their own (as in from laying down) they are in their own room" rule. As much for me as for them.. I loved having my babies with me for as many reasons as you can think.. however i knew that i would eventually want them to be in their own room and i believe (again for all of us) that it would easier if they never really knew what they were missing out on.. The view from the crib is still! And for both my boys (who didn't sleep ALL the way through the night until 9months!) the move was when they started the process of sleeping through the night... hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say to each their own, I personally still sleep with Airi sometimes...It is more out of selfish reasons since G works at night, I like having her with me. She does have her own room though and she has always been good with sleeping by herself.

    I think with the twins it will be good since they are double trouble lol, you will get some much needed mommy alone time! Plus decorating baby rooms are sooo fun, and like you said they will have eachother!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have had addison in her own room since she was about 2 months. She was in our room but I got NO sleep because she is so noisy when she sleeps. I do however have a video monitor so I know what she is doing all the time. I know that is not practical for everyone but it has been a lifesaver for me. Her room is also across the house (really far away we have a 1800 sq ft ranch and she is at the other end) so it is hard to hear her if she cries without it. I would say do it sooner rather than later and it won't be as bad for the boys. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness gracious--I just happened upon your blog from 20sb, and I can't get over how cute your baby boys are. Twins must be a handful, but my goodness they are precious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks guys! I think we're going to move them! We'll see what happens-I'm nervous just thinking about it. I have a lot of work getting their room ready to go today!

    (I'm just doing it now while I have the courage)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Claire! Thanks for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am only speaking from our experience, but my suggestion is to move them now. You are correct about the timing. This is good timing b/c they won't know what's up and that there is a major change. In a couple more months - they will know you've left them. They become SO MUCH MORE AWARE by 8-9 months. And...at that point they can stand up in their crib, which gives them the stamina to cry longer and harder, I think. If they adjust to their own room now....by the time they are more aware...they will be used to it. I understand it is easier to have them close, but honestly ... it is for their own good. They are learning coping skills by being alone, too. We did this when our girls were 5 months. By 8 months I was seriously shocked as to how much mroe aware of "me" they were. We have struggled with separation anxiety in general and it's been hard enough to deal with during the day - I don't think I could have handled it at night, too. BEST OF LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I co-slept with my oldest waaayy too long, & I think it was the main reason I had such a hard time getting him to sleep through the night. With our daughter, she was in her own room pretty much every night, & she slept through the night from 3 weeks on. Just my experience... But I have no idea with twins!

    ReplyDelete
  12. great timing that you posted this today-- i'm in the same situation! (though with only one baby, thank goodness. hats off to ya!) our munchkin was born march 20th and i'm just bout ready to make the switch to her room and crib... everyone's comments are so helpful! soon, very soon.

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *