Rice Cereal Chronicles

There is much controversy on when to start your kids with cereal. Back in the day moms used to do it after a few weeks! Some people put cereal in the bottle before bed time. Some don't start anything until 6 months. The majority of info and pediatricians suggest starting between 4-6 months. The boys are just about 4 months and I wanted to see how they'd do. Ultimately it's up to Mama when to start and you can usually tell when your kids are ready.

Yesterday we tried rice cereal for the first time!


Isaiah was up first! I made the cereal really runny, so it would be easy to swallow and not too much of a texture difference. At first he wasn't quite sure what to do with his tongue. Babies have a choking reflex that makes their tongue automatically push everything out that goes in unless they're sucking on a nipple. Around 4 months this reflex starts to go away. Isaiah pretty much had his thinking face on the whole time, trying to decide if he liked what was happening. By the end I think we had more in his tummy than on his face! Great success!

Julian was up next:
He loved it! He did a much better job at swallowing the cereal and not pushing it back out. He thought it was funny when I told him to "say ahh!" and would open his mouth to smile. I put the spoon in quick while his mouth was open and he would just smile with a mouth full of cereal LOL. After a couple tries, he swallowed the cereal on every bite! What a big boy :) 

We tried cereal again before bed and it went pretty much the same. Isaiah was babbling and blowing spit bubbles the whole time, which in turn sprayed cereal everywhere. Julian was even better at opening his mouth and swallowing. 

When did you start your kids with rice cereal and how was their first experience?

18 comments :

  1. Too cute!! I'm in the "wait" category. I don't think I'll be starting with cereal, either, lol. I've turned into such a crunchy mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I don't think there is a certain rule for everyone. Some ppl whose babies have reflux start much sooner. I mostly decided to because they're sitting up well, have great head and neck control, are always watching what I put in my mouth and re ALWAYS hungry. It's not a growth spurt anymore, during the day they drink around 7 ounces every 2 1/2-3 hrs. At night they wake up a couple times each as well. So, I figured we could try cereal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We started cereal at about 4 months (maybe a little later) and then some stage 1 fruits and veggies at about 6 months. It definitely took some practice, but they LOVED to eat! I found that Eli liked rice cereal and Jude liked oatmeal, so after we learned that neither was allergic to either cereal, we mixed them together with some bananas. BIG HIT! We added in wheat shortly after so that we could buy the boxed Gerber mix. Beachnut also made a cereal with cinnamon and raisin pieces which the boys also loved (and it certainly smelled good!). Good luck figuring out what your boys like to eat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We did some cereal again today and I can't believe how good Julian is! He opens his mouth for the spoon and swallows it. Isaiah is spitting it out a little more-so already I'm figuring out they're two different eaters haha This should be interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't remember exactly when I started! Wow how time flies! I am a new follower from MBC! Come visit me at Mama;s Little Chick.

    Mama Hen
    www.mamaslittlechick.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Hang in there, they will soon (hopefully) start sleeping through the night!. Mine didn't until 6 months...but now I get uninterrupted sleep (most) nights!.

    Looking forward to reading your blog and thanks for stopping in mine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG I don't even know what uninterrupted sleep is anymore! I can't WAIT.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute boys. I started my oldest on cereal at 3 months. She was starving & the formula wasn't filling her up. So momma knows best.

    Following from Blog Flow

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Laura! Oh my gosh I need to send your post about glasses to my little sister. She's like...blind but doesn't wear her glasses! She's 14-I think she thinks they look dumb or something!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Found you on blog flow and following. Your boys are freaking ADORABLE. And not that I'm partial to mixed babies or anything ;) Mine was born on January 20, 2010. So she's just a few weeks older. I couldn't imagine having twins, you ARE a super mama! I haven't started rice cereal yet but I'm glad to see your post so I have an idea of what it's going to be like.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your sons are so cute! My youngest just turned 6 months. I started my 2 oldest on rice cereal at 4 1/2 months. This one, I tried then, but she just wasn't ready, so we just started about 2 weeks ago. Following you from blog flow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lucy I just commented on your blog-your daughter is SO flippin cute!! Cereal is definitely an adventure so far. Tonight I was feeding them both at the same time....Julian fell asleep sitting up lol it was SO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jessica Anne- I just stopped by your blog...I TOTALLY have a huge pet peeve of people using grammar incorrectly so THANK you for that post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness your boys a.d.o.r.a.b.l.e! I started my son at 4 months on rice cereal. He did good. I waited until 6 months to introduce anything else. Don't ask me why, I don't have a reason. Thanks for coming by my blog, I'm following you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This may sound completely nutso but my littlest was a preemie and I started her on cereal at 3mos. The doc told me to add about a tsp. of Karo Syrup to it to help with the constipation (which it did) but it turns out it makes it taste AWESOME. She couldn't get enough of it. That is if you don't mind high fructose corn syrup. :)

    You have an adorable little family! Seriously, they couldn't be cuter. I love it here so I'm stealing your button for my Blog Stalker page.

    Later!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your blog is so cute. I started all mine at about 5 months, so you are doing great. I am a new follower from blogflow!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks everyone! I need to get caught up on my blog flow chicas! I'll be visiting your pages (as soon as this baby stops fighting sleep!)

    ReplyDelete