Belated Writers Workshop Wednesday

Mama's Losin' It


I was supposed to post this yesterday but felt like death. Whoops.

Prompt: If you could do your wedding over, how would you do it?


Location: Des Moines Botanical Center We love the botanical center and planned to have a fall wedding. The center would be perfect for this as it's always about 10-15 degrees warmer inside. We wouldn't have to pay for decorations inside the dome because it's all flowers and gorgeous plants. Also, there is a reception area at the center so we'd skip the limo. And an added bonus is that when you rent the dome/reception room, you get them both all night! 

Time: Because the botanical center is open during the day, the wedding would be in early evening. I love the idea of a wedding in the dark dome with track lights all round!
The Dress: I love this simple dress. Very elegant but relaxed. I'm not a big fan of the frilly, busy dresses. My style is pretty accessory and frill free so this dress I think would be perfect.

With a hair/head piece like these:



Bridesmaids: I don't have any dresses picked out for them! I'd ask them to all just wear their favorite LBD. There's no reason for me to make them wear something they're not comfortable in! I'm asking them to be in my wedding and celebrate with me, I really don't have the right to MAKE them wear something. I want them to be comfortable and relaxed, because I'm so thankful they're in my life and are there to celebrate this special time with me!
Groom: Well, he gets to pick whatever tux he wants. We're going to go with traditional black because the bridesmaids are wearing black dresses. But they would all be wearing these:

and the flower girl too:


Flowers: A little something like this:


And something like this for the groomsmen:


FavorsSmall bags filled with almonds for guests at their seats. The favors aren't only a fun treat for guests to take home, but spruce up the tables as well! Each bag has a thank you note :)


and scratch tickets...because I love them:)

Decor ideas:



Programs: Well, my hubby is a graphic/web designer and is extremely talented. Obviously we'd use his talents to customize our programs and invites. But these are some of the ones I like:

and this is cute:


Cake: Well, neither one of us are cake people and I would rather not have the same boring cake as everyone else so I'd do these:

YUM!!!

These are all fun things to look at and think about but you know what? I wouldn't change a thing about the way we got married. Although it wasn't exactly what I wanted, it was perfect in it's own right. We got married  on September 25, 2009 in the courthouse in Laguna Hills, CA over Chikezie's lunch hour :) I was pregnant with my two beautiful baby boys! It took us all of 1 hour to get the paperwork done and to have the "ceremony" finished and to get out the door. There wasn't anyone else there but us and we didn't take a single picture. We were both wearing shorts and t-shirts and went to eat at the Yard House for lunch afterward...and then he went back to work :) I'm totally a not-a-big-deal person and love how we got married. It is a memory that only he and I will share. We didn't have the stress of putting on a huge production and saved ourselves thousands of dollars! We made the commitment to each other for each other. 

We hope to go home to Iowa sometime this fall and have a big celebration/reception where we can celebrate both our wedding and the birth of our sons with all of our family and friends. I can't wait :)

No comments :

Post a Comment