to sleep or not to sleep?

Mama needs sleep. Mama REALLY needs sleep. I'm chugging my coffee right now and still have a headache. Isaiah finally passed out in the swing (after I set it on high). He's really rockin right now! Julian is fighting sleep as I bounce him with my foot on his bouncy seat. This is how it usually is- one baby is sleeping, the other fighting it. 

Last week for two nights in a row the boys slept SO well. For all of you without children-this means they went to bed around 10:30-11:00 and didn't wake up hungry until 4:30-5:00am. It. Was. Amazing. I got so much sleep and had so much energy those couple of days. I didn't really want to talk much about it because I didn't want to jinx it. I'd upped the boys' formula to 6 oz and they seem to be doing well with that. They fill up before bed, sometimes eating twice, and it's able to hold them off for longer than three hours. 

Well, they decided this weekend they didn't want to sleep for that long anymore. They're back to waking up every 3 hours to eat. Saturday night was the worst. They both ate at 11 and fell asleep. Then, Julian woke up at 1:18 and I gave him to Chikezie to feed because he was still awake. Then Isaiah wakes up at 2 am and guess who else is wide awake? Julian wasn't even that hungry and here I was falling asleep trying to feed Isaiah on the couch and Julian is laying next to me in his boppy and just looks up at me and starts smiling and giggling! The kid was being a little devil! Here it is 2 am and he thinks it's time to wake up and play! Never before have I gotten any smiles from him without talking to him or working it out of him first. And here it's 2 am and he's all cheery and happy. UGH! I mean, as cute as it was I told Chikezie, "This child is the devil! He thinks this is funny!" And Chikezie and I sat awake, feeding our boys at 2 am, laughing at it all. 

Those are the tender moments of parenthood that I'll miss when I get older. Many moments in the middle of the night when we're exhausted and half asleep, the boys will do something that you can't help but laugh at, whether its a big man burp or continuous farting (Isaiah does this), you can't help but laugh with each other. So, I guess as much as I miss the sleep, there are some things worth waking up for :)

But in all seriousness, this better be a temporary growth spurt and they'll go back to their longer sleep patterns in a few days. It's cute and all but Mama needs sleep. The boys are almost 3 months now, so I'm thinking we're entering some new sleep territory. When did your kids start sleeping longer through the night? 

4 comments :

  1. Drake did not sleep through the night until he was 6 months old, and even then it was not consistent. I actually miss my late night snuggles with Drake. I always told myself when I was up in the middle of the night with him to enjoy those moments because they will pass so fast and believe me they do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well this is new...I don't think I've ever seen a blogger move from WP to blogspot :P

    How do you tell them apart? When you're *really* sleepy, do you ever confuse the two?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely trying to "enjoy" the snuggle times right now...I'm just not so pumped about the 2 am snuggle times :)

    And Erin-
    I'm their mama! I can always tell them apart :) Well, actually when they were first born it was hard, and their daddy has issues sometimes but I stopped confusing them after a week or so!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always feel guilty admitting this, but Logan is sleeping through the night for the most part. He goes down sometime around 10:30 (though he usually sleeps on the couch with me for an hour or two before that). Then he's out until 5-9am, depending on the day. We started putting him in his bassinet to sleep around 1 month. At the 2 month mark, I started putting him down awake (just barely awake). After he wakes in the morning, I pull him into bed with me. Then we sleep for a couple/few more hours most days. Logan's 9.5 weeks old and he's been doing well most nights for the past week or two.

    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete