May 11, 2010

Questions and Misconceptions About Twins

Throughout my pregnancy and since the boys have been born I've gotten so many false comments regarding where twins come from and how our twins came to be. I know it's not really a big deal if people have the correct information or not but I always get slightly annoyed when people justassume certain things about multiples. I'm going to set the record straight.
  1. Do twins run in your family? Yes, after I found out I was having twins my mom told me that twins run on her mother's side here and there. Twins, if fraternal, are determined by the mother's hyper-ovulation, or release of two eggs at once. The fact that my husband is a twin is mere coincidence! I get so often the comment, "oh that's why!" when people find out my husband is a twin. I have to fight the urge to tell them they're wrong.
  2. Are they identical or fraternal? The boys are fraternal. They had two separate sacks and came from two separate eggs. Although they do look a lot alike, many siblings look similar in their baby pictures...we just happened to have two at the same time!
  3. "I sure hope I don't have twins, my mom is a twin!" Unless you have some freak chance of identical twins (which is a genetic anomaly), every woman has equal chance of having identical twins. They are still doing studies on this but for now, identical twins appear to be random. And I'll say one more time, twins are not determined by the male's genetics. The father plays a different role; he determines the baby's gender. So if you're looking to see if you may have boys or girls, looking to the father's side may give you some clues but nothing is for certain.
  4. "I don't know what I'd do if I had twins." Well, you just DO. Having twins was not our choice, it was something we were blessed with and there is no way to prepare for it for anyone! People always talk about how they're not ready to have kids. Are we ever really prepared to have children? Probably not. Until you have your own children you won't ever really be prepared.
  5. Do they wake each other up when they cry? As of yet, not really. I know they probably have some sort of unconscious understanding of somebody else being there, but they don't have a "twin connection". They don't really wake each other up at this point. One boy could be crying his little heart out and the other will be off peacefully in dream land.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *